EVS opportunity in Hasliberg, Switzerland – apply now!
Ecole d’Humanité, Switzerland is looking for 1 volunteer for 11 months (August 17th 2017 – June 30th 2018)
The Ecole d’Humanité is a progressive, international boarding school in the heart of the Swiss Alps (in the winter ski area Meiringen-Hasliberg) that fosters the discovery and development of individual talents in an atmosphere that encourages self-determination, innovation, and tolerance. 120 Students and 50 teachers from over 20 different countries live together in a dynamic community overflowing with academic, artistic, practical, athletic, and social opportunities. Whether admiring the beauty of a poem, projectile motion in a calculus-based physics class, performing an original piece of impro theatre or summiting a 4000 meter peak, Ecole students are challenged to actively discover and pursue their passions, and share them with others.
As an EVS volunteer you’ll have the position as “Artist in Residence”. Therefore you get the chance to work as an artist at the Ecole d’Humanité and be at the same time a part of the Ecole-community and take part in the community life within the so called “Ecole Families” (consisting of 2-3 teachers and 4-10 students, who live and interact with each other under one roof).
The Ecole offers you a great infrastructure to use. By mutual agreement your work could be in the following areas:
– work as artist (metal & wood studios, stage and practicing studios , graphics studio)
– work pedagogically: giving afternoon classes in a certain topic depending on your talents or work in so called “intense weeks” together with small groups of students
– networking: among the network of former students of the Ecole, there is a great amount of artists, working in different areas, who are often willing to cooperate for projects
– communications: engage in public relation activities regarding your work
– manual work (garden work, caring for the pets, housework)
– intercultural dimension: The daily interaction with community members from over 20 countries helps to learn more about interculturality, in which we offer also professional trainings
Rooms are doubles (!) and are simply and purposefully outfitted. Living together closely can mean both welcome support and unexpected challenges. Sometimes lifelong friendships are formed, sometimes only bonds of convenience. In the small unit of the room social learning plays an important role. When conflicts arise, the teachers (who supervise the Ecole Families) are there to help resolve them.
We eat our daily meals together in a communal dining hall. Students, teachers and volunteers share things like cleaning duties in the Ecole. The beautiful surroundings of the Ecole offer great outdoor activity possibilities (hiking, skiing, climbing and biking).
Participants are motivated to live and work in a rather remotely located place within an existing community consisting of teachers, international students and other volunteers. You shouldn’t mind living in a shared bedroom and you are willing to integrate within the structures of the community. Smoking and drinking alcohol is not permitted for students. EVS volunteers are not allowed to smoke or drink alcohol in the presence of students.
During school vacations, students and teachers are not present and daily life at the Ecole is less structured. EVS volunteers can stay at the Ecole or take off for home visits or travel. One week in the end of October, three weeks starting mid December and one month in March/April.